Monday, March 30, 2009

Worst Mom Award

So I seriously feel like the worst mom. Today I went over to a friends house and I brought Paxton with me. She had her fireplace on and I didn't think anything of it. I put Paxton down and walked over to the kitchen and put my stuff down. And before I know it Paxton is crying and I look over and he is sitting next to the fireplace. I knew instantly that he had touched the glass. I walked over and his hand was bright red and he was shaking it crying. I immediately ran it under cold water and that seemed to calm him down. But he decided he didn't want me running it under water anymore. I tried to get him to hold a cold rag but he refused. He just kept looking at me and crying and saying mama. So I got some burn ointment and stuff to wrap his hand. He doesn't like it but hasn't figured out how to take it off. I tried to put him down for a nap and he just cried. He has blisters on his palm where he touched the glass. I feel so bad how could I have been so dumb to not think about the fireplace!! So I have spent the rest of the day holding him and loving him because that is all he wants. He gets down to crawl and puts pressure on his hand and then lifts it up and cries. I wish I could take away the pain I know how bad a burn hurts and that makes me feel so much worse.

6 comments:

Meganps said...

oh my gosh ashlee that is terrible! poor little guy! don't be too hard on yourself...i probably wouldn't have thought anything about it either!

The Montys said...

I'm so sorry... I feel so bad for you guys :( Just think of it as a learning and teaching experience. I probably wouldn't have thought of the fireplace either, but now I'll be sure to be extra careful to look for a turned on fireplace! Don't be too hard on yourself. Kids are resilent and heal so quickly!

The Poulsen Family said...

I'm so sorry that happenned!! But, it's all about learning, I doubt that I would have thought about it either, but now I'm sure I will. It sounds like the burn wasn't too too horrible so I'm sure it will heal fast!

The Montys said...

How's Paxton's hand?

The Emerys said...

Paxton's hand is doing good. It has 3 blisters on his palm. I have to keep it wrapped during the day because it hurts him to crawl. And he has been super clingy and whiny. But I suppose that is to be expected.

Tonia said...

No problem about looking up your blog. We love Elder Keller. I think he has been featured twice on our blog so far. We have a bunch of pictures of him I have been meaning to send along to your mom. One of these I will get to it...I promise!